Monday, March 28, 2011

The Measure of Success

A question for Pervez Musharraf:
You are planning a return to Pakistan to run again for President, a job you left in 2008. Why?

For the sake of Pakistan. I am very comfortable. I go around the world lecturing, and they pay me well. But there is a cause bigger than the self. I governed the country for nine years — successfully. So I don't have to reinvent the wheel. And I know Pakistan is suffering. I know there is a vacuum of leadership. Therefore the cause of Pakistan pulls me toward my destiny. Maybe it's a call of destiny much more for the nation than for myself.
More surprising answers - not that I claim any expertise on what could go better in Pakistan - to questions at the link.

4 comments:

mikey said...

Hmm.

I think one might question his definition of "successful governance" is all I'm saying...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm going from memory (so could be completely off base), but my impression is that Pakistan, like many Islamic countries, now has a far more conservative (and anti-woman) version of it thanks to the export of Wahhabism by the Saudis.

Said exporting occurring because Sheiks awash in our petrodollars would prove their worthiness (in spite of their decadent lifestyles) by training the Imams of poor countries for free. Everybody wins!
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Whoa, is this Musharraf, or Thomas Friedman?

bjkeefe said...

BBBB FTW.

(You might also enjoy this.)