Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Time for Another Poem

Inspiration from Thers.

The Passionate Maximos to His Love

Come live with me and be my wife,
And we'll forego all pleasures rife
In rock and hip-hop, modern jazz,
Or any joy that good sex has.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
Whipping shepherds who whip their flocks
By grey-brown rivers, to whose falls
Laundry women sing madrigals.

And I will make thee a bed that squeaks
Like those of which my grandpa speaks;
Decent bloomers, and dowdy dress
Lest lusty negroes their love confess.

A shirt made of the finest hair
(Things that cover what's down there);
Sensible shoes for warm and cold,
Which suit the young and suit the old.

No belt to bring out waist or hips
And thereby whet the gossips' lips:
And if these steps may thee approve,
To marry me t'would thee behoove.

The minstrel band shall dance and sing
Though they'll be beaten if they should swing:
In these conditions my wife must live,
If not she's no conservative.

No comments: